Chicken Stir-Fry with Almonds and Snap Peas
There are 7 good reasons chicken is good for your body.
#1 Helps build muscle- Chicken is one of the best non-vegetarian sources of protein. It is lean meat, which means that it contains more amount of proteins and less amount of fat. A 100g serving of roasted chicken offers you 31g of protein.
#2 Keeps your bones healthy- Apart from protein, chicken is rich in several minerals like phosphorus and calcium, that helps keeps bones in mint condition. Also, it has selenium which has been known to cut risk of arthritis.
#3 Relieves Stress- Chicken has two nutrients that are great for reducing stress – tryptophan and Vitamin B-5. Both of them have a calming effect on your body and this makes chicken an excellent option after a stressful day. Also, it tastes great and that too adds to its stress releasing, happiness inducing properties.
#4 Reduces PMS Symptoms- Magnesium, a nutrient present in chicken helps soothe symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome and fight the various mood changes that a woman might experience during her periods.
#5 Helps boost testosterone levels-Men should consume foods rich in zinc as it helps regulate testosterone levels.
#6 Boosts Immunity- Chicken soup has long been used as a home remedy for relieving cold, flu and other common respiratory infections. The hot steam of chicken soup helps clear nasal and throat congestion.
#7 Promotes Heart Health-Chicken, being rich in vitamin B-6, plays an important role in preventing heart attack. Vitamin B-6 helps by lowering the levels of homo-cysteine, one of the key components linked to an increased risk of heart attack. Besides, chicken is also a good source of niacin that helps lower cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease development. The American Heart Association also recommends consumption of chicken over red meat since it contains less amount of saturated fats and is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that exhibit beneficial cardiovascular effects.
Servings: 4 Calories: 235
- 2 teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons reduced- sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of all-spice
- 1 pound of chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bag frozen sugar snap peas
- 3 scallions (stick onions) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- Heat a nonstick wok or a large skillet over high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil, swirl to coat the pan, then add almonds. Stir-fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry sherry, soy sauce, water, cornstarch and the all spice powder in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the wok, swirl to coat pan, then add chicken. Stir-fry until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the snap peas, scallions and garlic; stir-fry about 1 minute. Stir in the dry sherry mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens and the chicken is just cooked through, 1-2 minutes. Last step stir in the almonds.
Olive Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is “The heart healthy Oil”. It is believed that chronic inflammation is among the leading drivers of many diseases. This includes heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and Arthritis. It has been shown that one of the mechanisms behind olive oil’s benefits is its ability to fight inflammation.
Garlic: Garlic contains allicin, an organic sulfur compound, which strengthens immunity, improves heart health, lessens inflammation, and even acts as an antibacterial agent to banish bacterial illnesses.
All of us here at Healthier Lifestyle Recipes would love it if you left us a message in the comment section below tell us how you enjoyed our 1st recipe in our new 7-Day Healthy Meal Plan!
Hope to see you tomorrow for Day 2….