Tequila Citrus Chicken
We have come up with our version of a healthy Tequila-Citrus Chicken, we hope you Enjoy! Serve these slightly tangy, sweet thighs with fresh lime wedges and grilled corn tortillas for a south-of-the-border flair. You can grill the tortillas directly on the grill rack for about 1 minute on each side.
As a Reminder: Here are a few good reason’s chicken is good for your body!
Keeps your bones healthy- Apart from protein, chicken is rich in several minerals like phosphorus and calcium, that helps keeps bones in mint condition. Also, it has selenium which has been known to cut risk of arthritis.
Relieves Stress- Chicken has two nutrients that are great for reducing stress – tryptophan and Vitamin B-5. Both of them have a calming effect on your body and this makes chicken an excellent option after a stressful day. Also, it tastes great and that too adds to its stress releasing, happiness inducing properties.
Promotes Heart Health-Chicken, being rich in vitamin B-6, plays an important role in preventing heart attack. Vitamin B-6 helps by lowering the levels of homo-cysteine, one of the key components linked to an increased risk of heart attack. Besides, chicken is also a good source of niacin that helps lower cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease development. The American Heart Association also recommends consumption of chicken over red meat since it contains less amount of saturated fats and is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that exhibit beneficial cardiovascular effects.
Servings: 4 Calories: 202
- 2 Tablespoons of Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 3 Tablespoons of Tequila
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Heart Healthy Oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 4 (1/4-pound) Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Combine the garlic, orange juice, tequila, lime juice, oil and cumin in a zip close plastic bag; add the chicken. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag; turn to coat chicken. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Spray the grill rack with non-stick spray; prepare the grill for a medium-hot fire.
- Lift the chicken from the marinade , shake of excess marinade, then sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Discard left-over marinade. Place the chicken on the grill rack and grill until well marked and cooked through, 6-7 minutes on each side.
Tip: If using oven broil, spray the broiler rack with non-stick spray and pre-heat the broiler. Place chicken on the broiler pan and broil 4 inches from the heat until cooked through, 6-7 minutes on each side.
Olive Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is “The heart healthy Oil”. It is believed that chronic inflammation is among the leading drivers of many diseases. This includes heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and Arthritis. It has been shown that one of the mechanisms behind olive oil’s benefits is its ability to fight inflammation.
Garlic: Garlic contains allicin, an organic sulfur compound, which strengthens immunity, improves heart health, lessens inflammation, and even acts as an antibacterial agent to banish bacterial illnesses.
All of us here at Healthier Lifestyle Recipes would love it if you left us a message in the comment section below tell us how you enjoyed our 2nd recipe in our new 7-Day Healthy Meal Plan!
Hope to see you tomorrow for Day 3….