Another one of my quick dinner favorites, I use all different types of pasta to keep it new and different, I think my favorite pasta in it is bow tie! But it works really good with all of them.. This one I used rigatoni.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped organic garlic
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz can of artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cup of uncooked pasta
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a thick bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the onion just begins to turn translucent then add the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 1-2 additional minutes before adding the artichoke hearts, pasta, and broth, stirring well to combine.
- Continue to cook stirring regularly until the pasta is semi cooked (aldente). Fold in the spinach and cheese until the spinach has wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.
Artichokes: High in Fiber
Fiber can also help lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels, prevent inflammation and protect heart health, and reduce your lipoprotein or “bad” cholesterol levels. The cynarin in artichokes increases bile production in your liver, which in turn rids cholesterol from your body.