- 2 cups mixed salad greens ( leaf lettuce, endive and radicchio and spinach) or make to your taste!
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Organic Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toss greens, cranberries, cheese and walnuts in large bowl.
- Mix vinegar, honey, mustard and pepper with wire whisk until well blended.
- Gradually add oil, whisking constantly until well blended.
- Pour over salad; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Many of these phytonutrients offer antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer health benefits. Cranberries are a very good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, and manganese, as well as a good source of vitamin E, vitamin K, copper and pantothenic acid.
The cancer-preventive benefits of cranberries are now known to extend to cancers of the breast, colon, lung, and prostate. Cranberries are linked to triggering of the apoptosis (programmed cell death) in tumor cells.
With respect to berries ( cranberries, strawberries, blueberries) in particular, we recommend that you include berries at least 3-4 times per week within your fruit servings.
Walnuts not only taste great but are a rich source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and an excellent source of those hard to find omega-3 fatty acids. Like most nuts, they can easily be added to your Healthiest Way of Eating. Just chop and add to your favorite salad, vegetable dish, fruit, or dessert.
Phytonutrient research on the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits of Walnuts has moved this food further and further up the ladder of foods that are protective against metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular problems, and type 2 diabetes.
Feta: You can keep feta cheese as an occasional part of your healthy eating plan, however, because it does have some nutritional value. Just limit your intake because it does contain saturated fat. It does have a strong enough flavor so you only need a little to enhance your salad.