Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup Original Organic Hot Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped Diamond of California Shelled Walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Dash of Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Organic Pure Raw Honey
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/3 cup Organic Peanut Butter
- Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup of Organic Raisins
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange juice, honey and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over oats and walnut pieces, tossing to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring well halfway through.
- Stir in raisins and let cool completely.
- To assemble sandwiches, core each apple half. If you won’t be eating these right away, brush the apples halves with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Spread two teaspoons of peanut butter on each half then sprinkle with granola and more raisins. Enjoy!
There may be something to the old “An apple a day…” saying. People who eat fresh fruit on most days are at a lower risk of heart attack and stroke than those who rarely eat it, according to a study of the New England Journal of Medicine. (adding just one piece of fruit extra a day really makes a difference).
Many people now believe that because added sugars are bad, the same must apply to fruits, which also contain fructose. However… this is completely wrong, because fructose is only harmful in large amounts and it is almost impossible to overeat fructose by eating fruit.